Thomas Blount Mews will soon become Bristol’s newest street name. The currently unnamed thoroughfare in Bedminster between Dean Lane and Acraman’s Road, is being named after a long-dead Bristol merchant who was twice Mayor in the fifteenth century.
The road, near Hotel 24-7, is currently in the process of being legally named by Bristol City Council. But fear not, when the new road signs appear we will be first with the EXCLUSIVE photos.
In the meantime, here is the still unnamed and unremarkable road, mostly consisting of the backs of garages, from Acraman’s Road:
And from Dean Lane:
According to The History of Parliament, Blount, of Temple Street, who died in 1441, was a ”Bristol merchant of some standing (who) took an active interest in local affairs for over 40 years”.
Blount was appointed city bailiff in 1393, the same position once held by his father. As sheriff in May 1400, he was commissioned to investigate the recent insurrections in Bristol following the deposition of Richard II, and along with the then mayor, Thomas Knap, he accounted for property, valued at more than £600, confiscated from supporters of the late King.
Blount’s active involvement in Bristol affairs led to his frequent appointment on royal commissions concerning the city. He traded in cloth, primarily with Bayonne, and also with Spain. His imports included iron, woad, lead and corn.
His house in Temple Street was sold after his death, with his will stipulating that the proceeds of the sale were donated towards the rebuilding of Temple church, which survives today in ruined form off Victoria Street, with Blount’s grave perhaps still in its grounds.